Out of the Woods came a Score of Four-Year-Olds

It was a sunless winter noon

I sat on a stump by the woods' gate

Hoping the sun will shine through the dreary clouds,

Then, out of the woods, came a score of four-year-olds

Little boys and girls, in leather boots

At first, I had my eyes fixed on the sky

Still waiting for a glimmer

But then the brightness of twenty pairs of shiny eyes

Were about to light up my ennui 

One of them, a gentleman, winked

His boots were shinning and black

He almost does not belong in the crowd

His coat was fancy and neat

As the others were soiled and wrinkled

He was followed by a girl who looked guilty

In muddy boots, coat and obliqued eyes—a recipe for a future politician

Next were a couple, a boy and a girl who held hands

And chatted endlessly without a care 

Dirty as charged and looking like soon-to-be famous YouTubers

They walked past me in no hurry or pattern

I took a long ponderous look at each and all

And can tell you that among them were the future priests 

And sinners, poets and scientists,

The criminals and the police who will catch them,

And there was one who stood out, his piercing eyes were cold

and aloof,

He struck me as a serial killer,

That was when I looked up and 

God's sun was up there smiling.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Old Elephant

The Bent Backs of our Fathers

There is a Bermuda in my Room